One of the most overlooked Knights of Columbus Programs is the State Scholarship, designed specifically for high school seniors planning to enter College or continuing students currently enrolled in a College or University. It is important to emphasize that this is a Council activity and not run by the state. It depends on all Councils and Brother Knights to actively promote this valuable Program that supports the youth of our State. The Primary Contact for questions from the Scholarship Applicants is the Council Grand Knight and his Council scholarship program chairman.
At the annual State Convention, The California State Council will award eleven scholarships in the following categories:
- Academic: Seven $1,000 student scholarships to those entering or resuming college,
- Religious: Three $1,000 scholarships (Jerome J. Junk Memorial Scholarship) to those
- who are, or will be, attending a vocational religious school, and
- Squire: One $1,000 scholarship (the Father Joseph Geary Scholarship) to a
- current or former Columbian Squire entering or resuming college.
- In addition to the scholarships awarded by the California State Council, the Past State Deputies Association will award one $750 Scholarship to an eligible applicant from any of the three above categories.
Qualifications for Academic Scholarships (March 1, 2017 deadline)
Academic applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- A member of the Knights of Columbus in good standing in a California Council,
- The spouse, son or daughter of a K of C member in good standing in a California Council,
- The spouse, son or daughter of a deceased member who was in good standing with a
California Council at the time of his death,
- A member in good standing of a California Columbian Squires Circle,
- A former Squire and son of a K of C member in good standing in a California Council,
- Submit the complete application by March 1.
Qualifications for Religious Applications (March 1, 2017 deadline)
Applicants for the Religious scholarship must be in good standing with his / her diocese or Order (seminary or school of formation). The deadline for Religious applications is March 1. The deadline is timed to be shortly after the diocese makes assignments.
CLICK HERE FOR 2016-2017 INFORMATION AND APPLICATIONS
Obtaining the application
Request the appropriate application from the Grand Knight. All of the scholarship application materials are included in the Programs Handbook. As a last resort, request the appropriate application form from the State Scholarship Chairman, or request the appropriate application form from the State Council:
15808 Arrow Blvd, Suite A, Fontana, 92335 (909) 434-0460 or from firstname.lastname@example.org