Did you know many children throughout the United States and Canada go without a coat each winter? Many low-income families use their scarce resources to meet the most basic essentials and they need help to provide this vital winter necessity.
That’s why the Knights of Columbus developed the Coats for Kids program, which allows councils across North America the opportunity to purchase new winter coats for children at a discount and to distribute them to children in need in their local communities.
Through our Coats for Kids program, 1,780 local councils distributed 87,906 coats to children in need throughout the United States and Canada in 2016. Since the program began in 2009, nearly 400,000 coats have been distributed.
How It Works
Every Knights of Columbus council is eligible to participate in Coats for Kids. Coats can be purchased at a cost of $220 per case of 12 (including shipping) for orders shipped to addresses in the continental United States, and $245 (including shipping) for orders shipped to Canada and other addresses outside the continental United States. Coats should be ordered on Knights Gear.
Pope Francis put it in perspective when he said “true charity requires courage: let us overcome the fear of getting our hands dirty so as to help those in need.” With the help of Knights of Columbus councils, you can use this program to make a difference for children in need.
To learn more contact the Fraternal Mission department at (203) 752-4270 or firstname.lastname@example.org
To organize a successful Coats for Kids distribution:
- Consider appointing a Coats for Kids chairman or assigning the task to the community activities chairman for the council.
- Contact the state council to learn if there is a state chairman who is responsible for coordinating a statewide coat drive, and determine how your council, assembly or circle can support the drive.
- Councils hosting their own coat drive should decide on a location and time to host the event. Consider inviting local veterans, athletes, TV personnel, local fire and police department, and parish priest.
- Make sure that you order enough coats by contacting your local human services agencies, parishes and schools to get a list of children in need of a coat.
- Order Coats through Knights Gear. For assistance, contact (203)752-4270.
- Publicize the event through local media and through the same human services agencies, parishes and schools you are serving.
- Coats for Kids is a Youth Activities Featured Program under the Service Programs
- Don’t forget to turn in your Reporting Form when done with this Program.
Parenthesis = Number of coats in that size
SMALL SIZE PREPACKS:
Coats for Kids
California State Chairman