The California State Council will be adding a third essay competition this year. Keep Christ in Christmas. The essay rules will be similar to those for the other State Essay Competitions. The timeline will be earlier.
Eligibility: Open to all Catholic students in public, private or parochial schools in grades 8 to 12.
Topic : “How do you keep Jesus as the focus during the Christmas Season”
Awards are strongly encouraged and recommended at the Council/Chapter levels. Presenting the awards at a regular school assembly or at a Mass (with the pastor’s permission) enhances our reputation as a Catholic family organization and provides a special recruitment opportunity.
Winners (8th through 12th Grade)
1st Place plaque for each Grade Level Plus $100 Gift card & Certificate signed by the State Deputy
- The essay will be 500-700 words, typed and double-spaced.
- The top essay from each grade will be scored by the Council Chairman and submitted to the Chapter Chairman
- All Council submissions must have the NEW State Essay Contest Entry form attached and include the signature of the student and parent(s) or guardian. Teachers may be the witness
- The Chapter will submit the best essay from each grade to the State Chairman. The State Chairman will advance the top essay in each grade level to Supreme for Group B.
- Entry sheets must be signed by the Grand Knights and the Council number on the entry sheet
- Students are not too have their name or signature on the Essay, only the entry sheet
Essays will be judged on a 100 point system
|2||Content – Clear and logical presentation of theme||35 points|
|3||Grammar – Organization, sentence construction,
Punctuation and correct spelling
|4||Style: Creativity and imagination in the development of the topic and use of proper vocabulary||35 points|
|July 2018||Download entry forms from the California State Website in the Forms link|
|August 2018||Contact Schools- Youth Ministries and Church parishes. Council competition starts among schools. Publish competition in Local papers/Church Bulletin & Community radio/TV announcements if possible|
|February 1, 2019||Send Council winners to Chapter Essay Chairman|
|February 15, 2019||Send Chapter winners to State Essay Chairman|
|April 1, 2018||Send State winners determined and forwarded to the State Awards Chairman with a copy to the State Program director.|
Keep Christ in Christmas Essay Chairman
5773 Pepperridge Way
Concord, CA 94521-5817