KEEP CHRIST IN CHRISTMAS INITIATIVE
Bob Pineschi 2018-2019 Chairman
Keep the True Meaning of Christmas Present in Council Holiday Activities
At Christmas we honor the birth of Jesus Christ. At times our Savior is forgotten in the commercialization of the season and the rush to get ready for holiday festivities. Each year the Knights of Columbus takes a leading role in reminding society that Christmas is first and foremost a Holy Day. One of the best ways to do this is participating in the Order’s “Keep Christ in Christmas” campaign. Here are some things Councils and Circles can do to promote the birth of Christ as the focus of the Christmas season. The previous explanation and much of the forthcoming information has been transcribed from the Supreme Website and the Surge with a Service Booklet. For more information, please visit the Supreme Website.
- Participate in the Order-wide “Light Up For Christ” program to help share the light of the Advent season with your Council and Community.
- Create your own Advent Calendar of actions you can take each day to bring you closer to Christ. Promote Advent wreaths in your Council bulletin as a means for families to mark the time of preparation for the coming celebration of Christ’s birth.
- Sponsor a “Keep Christ in Christmas” billboard that depicts the Holy Family and the campaign’s slogan. Each year, Councils and circles throughout the Order display thousands of these billboards.
- Urge all members to display a nativity scene on their property or at their place of business if they can.
- Sponsor a “Keep Christ in Christmas” poster or essay contest for students. Display winning posters in the church vestibule, school hallways or your Council’s meeting place during the holidays. Essays could be read during Mass and at a Council sponsored event or published in local newspapers.
- Submit a “Keep Christ in Christmas” advertisement for publication in your parish bulletin or Council Newsletter. Order “Keep Christ in Christmas” printed materials available from the Supreme Council Supply Department
- “Jesus is the Reason for the Season” – Order lapel pins, ornaments, novelties from the Autom Catholic catalog: www.Autom.com
- Buy Christmas cards with religious themes and “Keep Christ in Christmas” car magnets. For more information, contact Steve Sykes: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 951-232-4610
- Plan at least one Council sponsored event during December for members and their families. This could be a food or clothing drive, the praying of the Rosary or singing Christmas carols.
- Conduct a Christmas Posada with your family and your Knights of Columbus Council. Order “The Posada” booklet from Supreme Supply Catalog; Item #9898-E,S,F.
- Contact your local firefighters or Marine Corps and have your Council sponsor a “Toys for Tots” drive.
- Organize a parish Nativity play with children from the parish or local Catholic schools.
- Combine the Coats for Kids program with the Keep Christ in Christmas campaign by giving your coats away just prior to Christmas with a Christmas message attached to each coat.
- Your priests are very busy during the Christmas season. Have your council either take your priests out to dinner or give each a gift card to a good restaurant in your area.
- Resist the temptation, even when you’re in a rush or short notice to abbreviate “Christmas” as “Xmas.”
The Best Presents Can’t Be Wrapped • This Holiday season give the gift of yourself within your Council, community and family. Give these or similar presents of friendship, understanding, kindness, love and compassion.
- Serve or prepare meals at a soup kitchen.
- Visit or bring presents to children, military personnel or elderly people in the hospital. Visit someone who is a shut-in.
- Send a Christmas card to someone you have not seen or talked to in years. Invite a friend or neighbor who will be alone to share your Christmas celebration
- Get the family together to clean out all closets and dressers. Donate useable clothing, shoes, blankets and other items to a program for needy families.
- Send care packages to military personnel stationed overseas.
- Supply baby clothes, diapers, car seats or cradles to underprivileged mothers. Have your Council sponsor a family or families in need.
- Sponsor a drive for children to donate their old toys to youngsters.
Be a part of the Holiday spirit by undertaking one or more of the items listed above and help make Christmas Merry for someone else and yourself.
Keep Christ In Christmas Chairman