STATE AND SUPREME YOUTH ESSAY COMPETITION
Claire Tryon 2018-2019 Chairman
There will be two essay competitions this year. One is the Supreme Competition and another is at the Council/Chapter and State level.
The purpose of the essays is to promote an awareness of responsibility and accountability of the students in their Catholic education. Involvement is quite easy and helps develop a relationship between your Council and the youth of the community. The students and their parents become aware of the Knights and their role and involvement in today’s society.
Start by contacting all the Catholic school Principals in your area and the Youth ministries in your parishes. Make them more aware of the ideals on which our Order was founded and they should be willing to participate.
Eligibility: Open to all Catholic students in public, private or parochial schools.
Essay Submissions will fall into two groups.
Group A: Grades 4 thru 7 (For Council, Chapter and State Levels Only – Does Not Advance to Supreme)
Group B: Grades 8 thru 12 (Qualifies for submission to State and Supreme)
Topics for Group A
4th Grade Topic: “Ways I share My Time, Talents and Treasures at Home, School, and in My Church Community”
5TH Grade Topic: “In my life, who have been my Spiritual Role Models and Why?”
6th Grade Topic: “How do I live Jesus’ Teaching, “To Love Thy Neighbor?”
7th Grade Topic: “How My Catholic / Christian School Education has influenced My Personal Values”
Topic for Group B
8th grade thru 12th grades “Going to the Peripheries”
The Supreme Competition Kit can be ordered thru https://www.californiaknights.org found on the State website under Resources, Forms, Council Forms. It also contains the Council/Chapter/State Essay Entry sheet.
Awards are strongly encouraged and recommended at the Council/Chapter levels for Group A & B. Presenting the awards at a regular school assembly or at a Mass (with the pastor’s permission) enhances our reputation as a Catholic family organization and provides a special recruitment opportunity.
Group A (4th through 7th Grade)
1st Place Plaque for each grade level plus $100 Gift card & Certificate signed by the State Deputy
Group B (8th through 12th Grade)
1st Place plaque for each Grade Level Plus $100 Gift card & Certificate signed by the State Deputy
Essay Rules Group A
- The essay must be 250-500 words, typed and double-spaced. Hand written essays will be accepted but may result in a lower score if illegible.
- All Council submissions must have the revised Council/Chapter/State essay form.
- Do Not use the Supreme Entry form. Group A Entry form available on the State Website
- The signature of the student and the parent(s) or guardian is a must. Teacher may be the Witness.
- The top essay from each grade will be scored by the Council Chairman and submitted to the Chapter Chairman for Group A.
- Chapter Chairman will score top essay in each grade group and submit to State Chairman.
- State Chairman will judge the top essay in each grade group (4th thru 7th) submitted to State.
- State Plaques & Gift cards will be awarded for each winner.
- Entry sheets must be signed by the Grand Knights and the Council number on the Entry sheet
- Students are not to have their name or signature on the Essay, only the entry sheet.
- The essay will be 500-700 words, typed and double-spaced.
- The top essay from each grade will be scored by the Council Chairman and submitted to the Chapter Chairman for Group B
- All Council submissions must have the Supreme essay form attached and include the signature of the student and parent(s) or guardian. Teachers may be the witness
- The Chapter will submit the best essay from each grade to the State Chairman. The State Chairman will advance the top essay in each grade level to Supreme for Group B.
- Entry sheets must be signed by the Grand Knights and the Council number on the entry sheet
- Students are not too have their name or signature on the Essay, only the entry sheet
All essays will be judged on a 100 point system
|2||Content – Clear and logical presentation of theme||35 points|
|3||Grammar – Organization, sentence construction,
Punctuation and correct spelling
|4||Style: Creativity and imagination in the development of the topic and use of proper vocabulary||35 points|
|July 2018||Download Group A entry forms from the California State Website in the Forms link|
|July 2018||Order Kits for Group B from Supreme #EA-KIT|
|August 2018||Contact Schools- Youth Ministries and Church parishes. Council competition starts among schools. Publish competition in Local papers/Church Bulletin & Community radio/TV announcements if possible|
|Feb 28, 2019||Send Council winners for Group A & B Winners to Chapter Essay Chairman|
|March 15, 2019||Send Chapter winners for Group A & B Winners to State Essay Chairman|
|April 1, 2018||Send State winners determined for Group A & B Winners and forwarded to the State Awards Chairman with a copy to the State Program director.|
|April 15,2015||State Chairman send Group B Winners Only sent to Supreme by April 15.|