CIS – BUILDING THE DOMESTIC CHURCH
Since 1948 CIS has been the major evangelical arm of the Knights of Columbus. Through multiple booklet series and various media formats, CIS makes our Catholic faith accessible and provides continuing tools for catechesis and spiritual formation. Knights of Columbus councils should use the complete library of CIS materials in their membership formation as well as promote them for parish continuing education, youth catechesis and spiritual study groups.
The Building the Domestic Church series builds on this tradition and presents some of the most popular CIS resources aimed at helping us to live out the Church’s mission and vision for our families. Series topics include parenting, fatherhood and family prayer life, as well as two of St. John Paul II’s famous messages for the family – Letter to Families and The Family in the Modern World.
Knights of Columbus councils can now order a complete parish set of the BDC series for their parishes and receive a free display kiosk. For ordering the series and promoting the resources within their parish councils will receive credit for a “domestic church” activity towards the Columbian award.
The parish Building the Domestic Church series set (with free kiosk) is available to councils for $150.00 USD (includes shipping) for councils in the U.S. and Canada.
Councils should order the BDC series set online through Knights Gear under the “Domestic Church” tab. Council officers can also call or email Catholic Information Service to order at (203) 752-4267 or email@example.com.
- Speak with your pastor about the opportunity to promote the series and secure a location to display the kiosk in the parish hall or vestibule.
- Order the kiosk through Knights Gear store or by email Catholic Information Service at firstname.lastname@example.org. (Grand knights and financial secretaries can charge directly to the council through their “Officers Online” account access to the Knights Gear store).
- Assign a member to be responsible for receiving and setting up the kiosk. The shipment includes a fully assembled kiosk and one box of 225 booklets.
- Include an announcement in your church bulletin or ask the pastor to announce that this new resource for families is available courtesy of the knights of Columbus.
- Check in on the display and order a refill of books when supplies are low. You may want to speak to your pastor about collaborating with the parish to buy future orders since the council can order the reduced rate for books in bulk. You can customize your refill orders through the online Knights Gear store or order a standard refill box.
- Consider sponsoring a family study program with the domestic church series. Pick one book to promote and read as a family. Host an event or several events to gather together and discuss the topic. Your chaplain could provide guidance or perhaps preach on the topic during the Sunday Masses.
Domestic Church Activities
In order to highlight the importance of this new initiative and its impact on our mission, the Supreme Council has announced that this year, at least four major council programs must be designated as “Domestic Church” activities to earn the Columbian Award.
The following programs currently carry the “Domestic Church” activity designation:
Elbert D. Holmes Jr., Chairman