June 1, 2016
Exciting news from the Substance Abuse and Keep Christ in Christmas Poster programs. The 2016-2017 State Poster Contest winners for Keep Christ in Christmas and the Substance Abuse Awareness was presented at the 2017 State Convention. The youth who created the winning poster received $100 Visa gift card, their artwork was reproduced and placed into a frame. The original art work was sent on to Supreme for judging. Also, the local Council received a plaque in recognition of their efforts in running each program. At this years State Convention we were able to showcase over seventy Chapter Poster winners representing ten Chapters. By far this was the largest year of Councils participating.
I would like to thank each of the local Councils, District Deputies, and their Chapters for participating in this outstanding Youth Activity. Your efforts allow entrants to display their feeling and artwork in promoting Drug and Alcohol Awareness and to Keep Christ the center of their life. Thank you to all who participated.
It is time to order your kits for next year. It is easy to do at the Supreme website under forms. Looking forward to seeing more outstanding posters next year.
Brother Bob Pineschi
Knights of Columbus California State Poster Chairman
KOFC VOLUNTEERS FEEDING THE ATHLETES JUNE 9-11
Knights of Columbus volunteers will serve meals in the Hillside Residential Dining Facility, California State University – Long Beach (park in Lot 19) and at Parkside Residential Dining Facility, California State University – Long Beach (park in Lot 14A). A map will be distributed prior to event.
The following are the meal periods the Knights as a group will be volunteering. Everyone must pre-register on the Special Olympics website. You may register for multiple meal period times if you like. Registration instructions follow.
If the councils would prefer to stay together as a group they can register for volunteer time at Parkside Residential Dining Facility which presently has the most open slots left.
- Friday, Jun 9th, 2017 from 04:15 PM to 08:00 PM Evening Dinner (Hillside Dining Room)
- Saturday, Jun 10th, 2017 from 06:00 AM to 08:00 AM Breakfast (Hillside Dining Room)
- Saturday, Jun 10th, 2017 from 04:15 PM to 08:00 PM Dinner – (Hillside Dining Room)
- Saturday, Jun 10th, 2017 from 04:15 PM to 08:00 PM Dinner – (Parkside Dining Room)
- Sunday, Jun 11th, 2017 from 06:00 AM to 08:00 AM Breakfast – (Hillside Dining Room)
- Sunday, Jun 11th, 2017 from 06:00 AM to 08:00 AM Breakfast – (Parkside Dining Room)
Registration opens on April 10th at 8am.
Summer Games Volunteers,
Thank you for volunteering at Special Olympics Southern California’s 2017 Summer Games. To register for Summer Games, please follow the registration instructions below:
Please register by Friday, June 9th at 9am; all unfilled group shifts will be released to the public after this date and time.
How to register:
- Go to: https://2017-summergames-volunteer.my-trs.com
- Begin by clicking the purple “Register Now” button.
- Located the blue “Public Volunteer Groups” box and click “”
- In the “Access Code box”, enter code: KOC and click “Unlock”
- Select your shift by clicking on the small gray box to the right & click “Next”
- If you are new to the site, create an account on the left and click “” If you already have an account with the site, login on the right.
- Fill out profile question & Click “Next”
- Agree to Terms & Conditions by initialing & click “Agree & Confirm”
- Review shift and Select “Confirm”
- You are officially registered! Within 5 minutes you will receive a confirmation email.
Thank you for helping to make a difference in the lives of Special Olympics Athletes!
For registration questions, please contact Manager, Volunteers Nina Hadar at email@example.com
Make the State Council Website an App on Your Phone
You can access the state calendar, forms, events, etc. right from an app on your phone.
If your council, assembly, chapter has a website, you can also make it an app.
How to pin a webapp/website to Android homescreen
Got a favorite webapp or website you’re constantly checking on your Android device? You can pin it to your homescreen, and it will appear just as any other native app. This allows quick launching with a single tap.
- Start by opening the page in your browser. We recommend using the default Android Browser, or Google Chrome if possible.
- Hit the menu button, and add the page to your bookmarks. In Chrome, just tap on the star and follow the prompt.
- Open you bookmarks using the menu button, and find the new bookmark you’ve just added. Press down and hold on the bookmark until you see an action menu (UPPER RIGHT). Select Add to homescreen.
- That’s all there is to it. The bookmark is pinned to the homescreen for quick access. Arrange it into the place of your liking.
How to Create Website Shortcuts on the iPhone
You can quickly add a website shortcut to your iPhone homescreen so that it is easy to access the website whenever you need to. This works similar to creating a favorite on your iPhone, but with this option you can put the website shortcut on your home screen like an app.
When you do this, the iPhone will use a favicon, the small picture that you often see on a tab on your browser, as the shortcut icon. This helps make your website shortcuts look like apps, and you can even put these in folders to keep a collection of your most used websites together.
Open Safari on your iPhone and type the website you want to make a shortcut to into the address bar. If you want to go to a specific portion of the website, go there before making the shortcut. When you are looking at the page you want to make a website shortcut for on your iPhone, tap the Share button at the bottom of the screen.
This will open a new menu option that includes an Add to Home Screen option. Tap on this icon to continue adding the website shortcut to your iPhone homescreen. On this next page you can choose to enter the name of the shortcut. In most cases you will need to create a shorter name, or possibly abbreviate the name so it fits on your iPhone home screen. When you are done, tap Add to put the shortcut on your iPhone homescreen.
Once this is done the iPhone website shortcut will be on the home screen next to your apps. You can long press on this shortcut to change where it is located, just like you do with an app. With this in place, you have fast access to your favorite websites on your iPhone or iPad.
Add the state council news feed to your website.
Council websites should have this feed on your website.
- Chapter rss feed = https://www.californiaknights.org/feed/
- Go to website: http://www.rssfeedwidget.com/
- Insert the state rss feed url and design your
- Copy the code and paste the code into
your text or html version of your webpage.
- The feed will automatically update.
If you use WordPress, there are several ways to include the news feed on your site.
State Chaplain Most Rev. Oscar A. Solis Installed
10th Bishop of the Diocese of Salt Lake City
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION
HONOR FLIGHT SAN DIEGO
On Saturday October 2, 2016, San Diego welcomed home 83 World War II veterans as they returned home from a weekend in Washington DC as honored guests of Honor Flight San Diego. This was also the initial distribution of wheelchairs by the California Knights of Columbus and the American Wheelchair Mission.
This past Columbian year, through the leadership of Immediate Past State Deputy Ed Huestis, the California Knights of Columbus raised over $560,000 with the goal of distributing wheelchairs to those veterans who have served us proudly over the years.
Honor Flight San Diego was the first opportunity to recognize and support these men and women. Over 1,000 people provided a “Welcome Home” reception with many Knights and their families present. There were 20 Color Corps members led by Vice Supreme Master Larry Campitiello, Master Gene Hays and District Marshal Rene Trevino also present to provide a warm reception for these honored veterans.
State Deputy Sonny Santa Ines, Immediate Past State Deputy Ed Huestis and State Warden Steve Bolton were on hand to assist the veterans into their Knights of Columbus Wheelchairs. In all, 18 WWII veterans went home with a Knights of Columbus wheelchair. Additionally, 85 special ‘transport’ wheelchairs were donated to USO San Diego and Honor Flight San Diego for their use. These transport chairs were used by the veterans during the visit to Washington DC this past weekend.
There are plans being developed for wheelchair distributions to Veterans throughout the State in the next couple of months. Please make plans to attend these ceremonies as they occur in your location.